Learn with SVARA
There are many opportunities throughout the year to get some Talmud served up the old fashioned way—hardcore, queer, and radically inclusive—with SVARA! We offer daily and weekly drop-in learning spaces, multi-week classes, special one-off events, and resources for you and your chevruta to learn on your own.
All of our learning spaces—whether they’re drop-in classes or semester-long courses— follow SVARA’s accessibility protocols, and aspire to our community norms.
Check out what’s comin’ up at your fave queer yeshiva, and we can’t wait to welcome to you to the SVARA bet midrash! Not sure where to start? Here’s how to get started on your Queer Talmud journey!
GET A TASTE OF TALMUD
- Taste of SVARA: A Day of Traditionally Radical Learning with Rabbi Benay Lappe, a one-day class where you’ll get oriented to what SVARA is all about and putting the theory into practice. All you need is the ability to decode your alef-bet (i.e. sound out your Hebrew letters), and you’ll be learning Talmud in the original Hebrew/Aramaic within your first hour. We guarantee it! | Sunday, Jan. 23 | ENROLL NOW
Crash Talk: 12:00-2:00 PM ET | 11:00-1:00 PM CT | 9:00-11:00 AM PT
Bet Midrash: 3:00-5:00 PM ET | 2:00-4:00 PM CT | 12:00-2:00 PM PT
DROP-IN LEARNING AND PROGRAMS
- Mishnah Collective, a daily 30 minute exploration of Pirkei Avot, to get in on the action, or to restart your learning practice with us! | Sunday-Friday at 1:30 PM ET / 12:30 PM CT / 10:30 AM PT | SIGN UP HERE
- The Oral Talmud, a weekly livestream to podcast show where Rosh Yeshiva Rabbi Benay Lappe and Dan Libenson of jewishLIVE dig into a text and, on alternating weeks, interview the premier Talmud scholars of our time to bring the revolutionary ideas about the Talmud coming out of academia into public conversation and then into the bet midrash. | Thursdays at 12:00 PM ET / 11:00 AM CT / 9:00 AM PT | WATCH HERE
Below is a list of what we’re serving up in Spring 2022. Learn more here!
- Alef-Bet Basics | Tuesdays, Feb. 15-Mar. 8 | 6:00-8:30 PM ET | | 5 sessions
- Queer Talmud for Beginner’s Mind: Section 1 | Mondays, Feb. 14-Apr. 4 | 8:00-10:00 PM ET | 8 sessions | SECTION FULL
- Queer Talmud for Beginner’s Mind: Section 2 | Tuesdays, Feb. 15-Apr. 5 | 6:00-8:00 PM ET | 8 sessions
- Bet Midrash: Prozbul | Mondays, Feb. 14-Apr. 4 | 8:00-10:00 PM ET | 8 sessions
- Bet Midrash: Letaher et HaSheretz | Tuesdays, Feb. 15-Mar. 8 |6:00-8:00 PM ET | 4 sessions
- Bet Midrash: Chacham Adif MiNavi | Tuesdays, Mar.15-Apr. 5 | 6:00-8:00 PM ET | 4 sessions
- Bet Midrash: Ben Sorer U’Moreh | Mondays and Wednesdays, Feb. 14-Apr. 6 | 11:30 AM-1:30 PM ET | 16 sessions
- Shiur for Experienced SVARA-niks: HaKoreah B’Chamato | Mondays, Feb. 14-Apr. 4 | 8:00-9:30 PM ET | 8 sessions
Option 3 Jewish Life & Practice
- Queer Theories of Halakha | Wednesdays, Feb. 16-Mar. 30 (skip Purim, Mar. 16) | 6:00-7:30 PM ET | 6 sessions | COURSE FULL
- Cripping the Torah with new SVARA Faculty Rabbi Elliot Kukla | Thursdays, Feb. 17-March 31 (skip Purim, Mar. 17) | 4:00-5:30 PM ET | 6 sessions | COURSE FULL
- Scholar-in-Residence Course, details coming soon!
LEARN ON YOUR OWN
Grab your chevruta and dig in with these resources to help bring the bet midrash to you, wherever and whenever you’re learning!