Learn with SVARA
There are many opportunities throughout the year to get some Talmud served up the old fashioned way—hardcore, queer, and radically inclusive—with SVARA! We offer daily and weekly drop-in learning spaces, multi-week courses, special one-off events, and resources for you and your chevruta to learn on your own.
All of our learning spaces—whether they’re drop-in courses or semester-long courses— follow SVARA’s accessibility protocols, and aspire to our community norms.
Check out what’s comin’ up at your fave queer yeshiva, and we can’t wait to welcome to you to the SVARA bet midrash! Not sure where to start? Here’s how to get started on your Queer Talmud journey!
DROP-IN LEARNING AND PROGRAMS
- Mishnah Collective, a daily 30 minute exploration of Pirkei Avot, to get in on the action, or to restart your learning practice with us! | Sunday-Friday at 1:30 PM ET / 12:30 PM CT / 10:30 AM PT | SIGN UP HERE
- The Oral Talmud, a weekly livestream to podcast show where Rosh Yeshiva Rabbi Benay Lappe and Dan Libenson of jewishLIVE dig into a text and, on alternating weeks, interview the premier Talmud scholars of our time to bring the revolutionary ideas about the Talmud coming out of academia into public conversation and then into the bet midrash. | Thursdays at 12:00 PM ET / 11:00 AM CT / 9:00 AM PT | WATCH HERE
- Gemirna Workshops, drop-in learning sessions designed to guide your journey to becoming a player, each offering Talmudic skill-building that will help you know your shit. The Rabbis teach us that in order to be a player—someone who shapes the tradition—you need two things: gemirna (deep learning) and sevirna (moral intuition). Come for one, come for all, or anything in between! Thursdays, 8:00-9:30 PM ET | 7:00-8:30 PM CT | 5:00-6:30 PM PT | LEARN MORE & REGISTER HERE
SVARA’s 2022 Summer Zman runs from June 14 through July 21. | LEARN MORE & REGISTER
- Queer Talmud for Beginner’s Mind: Chacham Adif MiNavi | Tuesdays, Jun. 14-Jul. 19 | 8:00-10:00 PM ET | 6 sessions
- Bet Midrash: Hafka’at Kiddushin with Elaina | Tuesdays, Jun. 14-Jul. 19 | 8:00-10:00 PM ET | 6 sessions
- Bet Midrash: Eima Kra/Svara with Bronwen | Wednesdays, Jun. 15-Jul. 20 | 6:00-8:00 PM ET | 6 sessions
- Bet Midrash: Eima Kra/Svara with Becky | Wednesdays, Jun. 15-Jul. 20 | 2:00-4:00 PM ET | 6 sessions
- Bet Midrash: Hafka’at Kiddushin with Laynie (2x/week) | Tuesdays and Thursdays, Jun. 14-Jul. 21 | 11:30 AM-1:30 PM ET | 12 sessions
LEARN ON YOUR OWN
Grab your chevruta and dig in with these resources to help bring the bet midrash to you, wherever and whenever you’re learning!