Taught by Ren Finkel
Welcome to SVARA’s seven-week journey through the Hebrew alphabet! Together we’ll learn the Hebrew letters and vocalizations to get you ready for life-long learning and tradition shaping. Join this celebratory and queer-normative space designed to navigate the delights and frustrations of learning the building blocks of a language. We’ll give you all the tools you need to boost this beautiful new skill in the SVARA bet midrash and beyond. In our final session, we’ll put our decoding skills to use and start reading Talmud together! (Please note that this isn’t a Hebrew grammar or vocabulary class—we’ll be sticking to letters and pronunciation.)
Who is this space for?
Folks who want to take the very first step toward encountering our tradition in the original language! This is a space to get comfortable with Hebrew letters.
We know that virtual learning comes with a holy host of nuances and it can be hard to know exactly what to expect of an online experience. For that reason, we’ve gathered a list of the nitty-gritty details that will help you envision the fullest picture of each of our offerings!
- We’ll meet once a week on Tuesdays from 8–9:30pm ET
- There are seven sessions and regular attendance is expected
- No “homework” required between sessions
- Includes breakout spaces for practicing what we’ve learned
- All registered learners will receive a package from SVARA that includes the hard copies of our learning materials.
- Live captioning is available in the main Zoom space. If you would benefit from live captioning in breakout rooms, you can request it in our enrollment form!