Bet Midrash: All in One
Taught by Rabbi Mónica Gomery and Kendra Saperstein
Witness how the Rabbis read themselves into history (spoiler: they literally time travel!) through a sugya in Masechet Menachot that explores claiming continuity and grounding within unrecognizable change. In this learning space, we’ll sharpen all the skills we bring to the SVARA bet midrash: learning in chevruta, getting to the root of each word, crafting inside and outside translations, and making meaning.
Who is this space for?
This learning space is for 1) returning SVARA-niks who have learned Talmud with us in the past (especially in Queer Talmud for Beginner’s Mind!); 2) folks who have experience learning Talmud in the original elsewhere; or 3) or new SVARA-niks who have previous Hebrew language skills.
We know that virtual learning comes with a holy host of nuances and it can be hard to know exactly what to expect of an online experience. For that reason, we’ve gathered a list of the nitty-gritty details that will help you envision the fullest picture of each of our offerings!
- We’ll meet once a week on Wednesdays from 7–9pm ET
- There are eight sessions and regular attendance is expected
- You can choose to sign up with a chevruta you already know, or SVARA can match you with a new chevruta
- Chevruta and shiur are combined into each weekly session
- No “homework” required between sessions
- Includes breakout spaces
- All registered learners will receive a package from SVARA that includes the hard copies of our learning materials.
- Two dictionaries are required: Frank & Jastrow
- Live captioning is available in the main Zoom space. If you would benefit from live captioning in breakout rooms, you can request it in our enrollment form!