Bet Midrash: Chevruta Plus
Taught by Laynie Soloman
Within a tradition as multivocal as ours, we have so many different instincts. So how do we know when it’s really our svara (moral intuition) talking? Witness how the Rabbis create new laws and legal principles through a sugya in Masechet Gittin. Together we’ll explore a novel halakhic mechanism that helps us to discern if our svara has gone off course. In this learning space, you’ll strengthen your chevruta skills by meeting regularly outside of the bet midrash to both prep our sugya and return to it again in chazara in order to check your understanding, ask big questions, and internalize each and every word. In our weekly shiurim, we’ll engage with recitation, translation, and meaning-making as a group. All of the time you spend with your chevruta during the week allows for closer reading and richer discussion in shiur.
Who is this space for?
This learning space is for returning SVARA-niks who have learned Talmud with us in the past and want to take on Talmud study with a deeper time commitment. Note: SVARA will not be providing chevruta matching for this space.
We know that virtual learning comes with a holy host of nuances and it can be hard to know exactly what to expect of an online experience. For that reason, we’ve gathered a list of the nitty-gritty details that will help you envision the fullest picture of each of our offerings!
- We’ll meet once a week on Mondays from 8–9:30pm ET
- There are eight sessions and regular attendance is expected
- SVARA will not be providing chevruta matching for this space. There is more information about bringing your own chevruta in the registration form.
- Learners are expected to meet in chevruta for 1-1.5 hours each week in addition to shiur
- Includes breakout spaces
- All registered learners will receive a package from SVARA that includes the hard copies of our learning materials.
- Two dictionaries are required: Frank & Jastrow
- Live captioning is available in the main Zoom space. If you would benefit from live captioning in breakout rooms, you can request it in our enrollment form!